Friday, December 9, 2011

Bacon Vodka

Now this is something that we both said, "Ok, we HAVE to do this!" His obsession with bacon and my obsession with cooking with alcohol Ummm Hello? Perfect match! Haha


This was just for picture sake! Making this stuff is actually pretty disgusting!

What you will need:
1 package of bacon of your choice
Skillet
Cutting board
Sharp knife
Stove top or hot plate
Glass pitcher, NOT PLASTIC, or sizeable equivalent (pitcher will really help when it comes time to pour)
Freezer
Some sort of filter - like a mesh strainer or a grease guard that you put on top of bacon while it's cooking. I suppose you could also use a coffee filter too.
Glass container of sufficient size to hold your final product (I poured mine back in the Smirnoff bottle)
Open up your package of bacon, and begin to slice it into smallish pieces, about 1/2" x 1/2" Cook up the bacon in a skillet. Pour the bacon grease and all into a glass pitcher or sizable equivalent and then mix in the vodka!!!! Seems easy enough right?
Now we'll put the vodka into the freezer for at least 30 minutes and then comes the gross part!
Take the vodka out of the freezer, and remove what I like to call the moon pie of bacon fat that has congealed at the top of the pitcher. Filter the bacon bits and other floaty pieces out of the vodka by pouring it through a strainer of some sort. I started with a mesh strainer to remove all the bigger pieces, then I started pouring it through a finer filter to get out the small stuff. I used the grease guard that I normally put over skillets when I'm cooking things that shoot off hot grease.
I recommend repeating this step several times to remove as many particulates as you possibly can
Pour your vodka into a fancy glass container (or back into the bottle), and then enjoy!
Now what kind of drinks can you make with bacon vodka you say? Well... We've only tried a few but I suggest: 
Chocolate Bacon Martini:
2 oz of Bacon Vodka
3/4 oz of Godiva Chocolate  Liquor
Splash of Half & Half
Shake all with ice and strain into a martini glass

Bacon Bloody:
2 oz of Bacon Vodka and your favorite Bloody Mary mix.  If you normally like your Bloodies spicy...I'd lay off the spice this time because the bacon is the star of this show

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment